A Christmas Carol

Charles Dickens’ Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol

“Darkness was cheap, and Scrooge liked it.”

A Christmas Carol

Scrooge’s and Elizabeth’s philosophies about life differ. Elizabeth has a more positive outlook on life, even though she is poor. Scrooge is the opposite, as he is very wealthy but is very negative and rude to others. “Bah, humbug,” he repeatedly grumbles. Elizabeth is very different, as she maintains an upbeat worldview. She invites Scrooge to Christmas dinner, keeping her Christmas spirit. “But I shall keep my Christmas spirit till the end,” she says. Even though she is still a child, a poor child, she remains as bright as the sun. Scrooge believes her spirit to be crazy, and since he is so rude and mean, he refuses to share Elizabeth’s joyful cheer. “If I had my way, every idiot who goes about saying ‘Merry Christmas’ should be boiled in their own pudding,” he says, an evil example of Scrooge’s demented demeanor. So overall, these characters are as different as night and day, with one being rude, rich, and cruel, and the other being kind, joyful, and jubilant.  – Riley

A Christmas Carol

“He went to the church, and walked about the streets, and watched the people hurrying to and for, and patted the children on the head, and questioned beggars, and looked down into the kitchens of homes, and up to the windows, and found that everything could yield him pleasure. He had never dreamed of any walk, that anything, could give him so much happiness.” 

“Men’s courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead,” said Scrooge. “But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change.”

A Christmas Carol

…..

‘The Night Before Christmas’ art lesson: HERE

The original Christmas story: HERE

A World Book Online assignment: HERE