Sometimes people talk about character traits as general qualities describing either fictional or real-life people. But those general qualities can be divided into two categories: personality traits and character traits.
Personality traits are are tendencies, or habits of behaviour, that show up at a very young age and seem to be inborn.
Character traits are habits of behaviour that are acquired. They are habits that are consciously or unconsciously developed over time. Character traits are the parts of you that you get to choose for yourself. What traits will you choose? What traits are you willing to practise? What traits do you hope to find in a friend?
Take a look at the list below.
1. Which of the words describe how you, or a character in a book, has learned to behave?
2. Which of the words describe qualities that are positive or healthy?
3. Which of the words describe qualities that are negative or unhealthy?
4. Which of the words describe neutral inborn personality traits that can become positive or negative?
5. What are some other words that could describe personality traits?
6. What are some other words that could describe character traits?