Make a striking design using a ruler and a set of felt markers!
1. Look at the five shapes below. Draw then in order from your favourite to your least favourite.
2. Get a piece of 11 x 17 inch white paper.
3. Fold your paper to make 16 small rectangles.
4. Draw a point near the edge of your paper. Make sure it is at a corner of a rectangle.
5. From that point, use your ruler to draw 5 to 11 rays that keep widening until they go off the edge of your paper.
6. Go back and look at your list of shapes. You will use them to create a design in those 16 rectangles.
Favourite shape = 8 rectanglesSecond favourite shape = 4 rectanglesThird favourite shape = 2 rectanglesFourth favourite and least favourite shape = 1 rectangle each
7. Consider how to arrange the shapes in your design.
Use colour to create a centre of attention that does not touch the edge of your paper.Use the shapes to create a centre of attention that does not touch the edge of your paper.Arrange the shapes so that repeating designs are spread out over your entire paper.
8. Carefully draw your shapes in the rectangles.
9. Use your felt markers to colour the rectangles, thinking about the direction of your colouring. Do you want the colouring to all run vertically? Horizontally? Or pointing towards the black point?
10. Share your artwork with someone who will appreciate your creativity and craftsmanship.
Artwork courtesy of Elissa, Zoe, Chelsea, Jenny and Saniya.