A love of luxurious living has been cited as one cause of the fall of Rome.
Does our civilization also give high status to spending a lot of money?
Do some research:
A. Look in newspapers, magazines or online.
1. Find a newspaper flyer or online realtor website that advertises very expensive homes. Find homes that cost $1 million or more. Write out the details or cut out the newspaper ad or, if you can, print out some examples of the website homes. Write down your source of information.
2. Find a newspaper article or flyer or online ad for expensive technology, such as the latest iphones or other devices. You could also try the Apple website. Write down the names of the items and how much they cost. Record your sources of information.
3. Find a newspaper flyer or online ad for expensive cosmetics, such as skin creams that cost over $100. As usual, write down the details and record your source.
4. Find a newspaper ad or online ad for an expensive holiday, such as cruises that cost over $3000.00. As usual, write down the details and record your source.
5. Find a newspaper flyer or online ad for an expensive car, such as a BMW or Mercedes Benz or Lexus. As usual, write down the details and record your source.
B. Talk to people and ask questions. Make sure to keep a record of all the people you ask (name and relationship to you).
1. How important is it to you have an expensive home or car?
2. How important is it to you to be able to go on expensive holidays?
3. What do you think is important in order to have a good life?
4. Who do you think are the important people in our society?
5. What makes those people important?