A Literary Novel:
1. Life is going along normally, whatever normal looks like for the main character.
2. Something big happens.
3. The character has to deal with all the resulting changes in life.
4. Life goes back to normal but it is a changed ‘normal’ in which the main character is morally stronger, further along the Bridge of Character.
A Short Story:
The main character sees life in a different way.
Your assignment: Write a short story about the journey of a Christmas food through the digestive system of a human being.
1. Point of view: 1st person
2. Tense: present
3. At least 10 scientific details
4. Literary techniques:
– alliteration – personification
– similes or metaphors – powerful words
– short and long sentences
5. Organization: a beginning, middle and end to the story
6. Perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation
7. Very neat and attractive
Bonus: an inference about something that reminds readers of a quality on the Bridge of Character.
Self-assess your ‘Story of Digestion’
1. Indented paragraphs: / 1
2. Double-spaced: / 1
3. Interesting first sentence: / 1
4. A beginning to the story: / 2
5. 10 facts about digestion: / 10
6. The whole digestive system: / 1
7. An ending to the story: / 2
8. A memorable last sentence: / 1
9. Literary techniques: / 10
10. No contractions: / 1
11. Perfect spelling, including capitalization: / 2
12. Perfect grammar: / 2
13. Very neat! / 3
Note: your teacher uses all these criteria to give your writing a mark out of 5!