Longer Responses

Ready to Write Longer Responses?

Try this two-paragraph response:
1. In paragraph one, make sure to keep the story in present tense.
2. In paragraph two, make sure to put yourself in present tense and the story in past simple or past continuous tense.

______, in ________________________  by ____________ (______________ , _________  ), is a ______________ whose…. _________  feels ___________ . What will happen?  When … , __________ feels …. because …. Later, ________ feels … because … Will … ? Will …? Will… ?   Read this ________  novel of __________ and ____________ to find out!

What images are especially vivid in my mind after reading this novel? There are many memorable scenes. I recall ….  I remember …. I recollect….  I still … when I think of ….   I still feel _______ when I think of how … at the end of the story.  All these images and emotions are part of my memory of this ______________ novel about ____________________________ .

[This page may be copied for use with students if the following credit is provided: ©2012 Sophie Rosen.]

Try this three-paragraph response:
1. Make sure to write about the story in present tense.
2. You may include quotations from the book if you know how to insert them smoothly into your own writing.

TITLE by AUTHOR (PUBLISHER, COPYRIGHT) tells the story of  A QUALITY (E.G. FRIENDSHIP), ANOTHER QUALITY (E.G. COURAGE) and A THIRD QUALITY (E.G. ADVENTURE). Set in NAME A PLACE during NAME A TIME (E.G. A COLD WINTER; THE NINETEENTH CENTURY), it describes the experiences of AN ADJECTIVE THE NAME OF THE MAIN CHARACTER who BRIEFLY DESCRIBE THE PLOT OR THE CHARACTER.
This story A STRONG PHRASE (E.G. KEPT ME AWAKE LATE INTO THE NIGHT). It entertained me with its DESCRIBE WHAT MADE IT ENTERTAINING. It informed me about CHOOSE ONE OR MORE: PLACES, TIMES, IDEAS NEW TO ME. BRIEFLY EXPLAIN.  It also affected my emotions: I felt NAME SOME EMOTIONS as I read about DESCRIBE THE RELEVANT SECTIONS INCLUDING QUOTATIONS IF APPROPRIATE. Most importantly, it has changed how I see the world. EXPLAIN IN TWO OR THREE SENTENCES INCLUDING QUOTATIONS IF APPROPRIATE.
If you like books that A STRONG PHRASE THAT INCLUDES ONE OF THE QUALITIES FROM THE FIRST SENTENCE, you are SOME DEFINITE STATEMENT (E.G. SURE TO APPRECIATE THIS OUTSTANDING STORY OF…).

[This page may be copied for use with students if the following credit is provided: ©2011 Sophie Rosen.]

Try this five-paragraph response:

Many people have been heroes during times of war, and many novels depict people with heroic behaviour. _______ in ______ by _____ (______ , ____ ) is one of those admirable characters.
        ____ shows compassion.  (3-5 sentences of evidence)
        ____ shows responsibility.  (3-5 sentences of evidence)
        ____ also shows perseverance.  (3-5 sentences of evidence)
        Furthermore, ____ shows courage.  (3-5 sentences of evidence)
        _____ in _______ shows all these admirable traits common to heroes: compassion, responsibility, perseverance and courage.  Whether in times of peace or times of war, heroism ______________ .