Comment on Information

Responding to Information

Did you know that GIVE AN INTERESTING FACT? Did you know that GIVE ANOTHER INTERESTING FACT? TITLE by AUTHOR (publisher, date) tells all sorts of AN EMOTIVE ADJECTIVE SUCH ‘FASCINATING’  facts about TELL THE TOPIC OF THE BOOK.  I learned that TELL A FACT and TELL ANOTHER FACT. I discovered that TELL A FACT and TELL ANOTHER FACT.  TITLE is a AN EMOTIVE WORD SUCH AS ‘EXTRAORDINARY’ book about TELL THE TOPIC AGAIN .

You can learn a lot about life from books.  I learned some useful information from TITLE by AUTHOR (PUBLISHER, DATE). TELL A USEFUL FACT. TELL ANOTHER USEFUL FACT. TELL YET ANOTHER USEFUL FACT.  Most importantly, I learned that TELL YOUR MOST MEMORABLE USEFUL FACT. Books are a great way to expand your general knowledge, to help you carry along facts that can help you in life.  And this book is great one to read if you want to learn SUMMARIZE THE MAIN TOPIC; E.G. HOW TO MANAGE YOUR MONEY.

You can learn a lot about life from reading. I learned some useful information online at a site called TITLE. TELL A USEFUL FACT. TELL ANOTHER USEFUL FACT. TELL YET ANOTHER USEFUL FACT. I discovered that TELL AN INTERESTING PIECE OF INFORMATION. It reminded me of TELL YOUR CONNECTION TO THE FACTS. In the future, TELL HOW YOU MIGHT TRY SOMETHING NEW IN THE FUTURE.  Who knows what will happen?  I can’t wait to find out!

A FEW EXAMPLES

You can learn a lot about life from books. I learned some useful information from Mapping Antarctica by Greg Roza (Gareth Stevens Publishing, 2014). Long ago, Antarctica was a much warmer place. The landmass drifted to its current location over millions of years. It is now one of the windiest places on Earth. Antarctica was first explored nearly 200 years ago but has no official borders or capitals. Most importantly, I learned that Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway, and the United Kingdom all have research labs in Antarctica. Books are a great way to expand your general knowledge, to help you carry along facts that can help you in life. And this book is a great one to read if you want to learn more about the coldest continent on earth. – Raninder in grade 6

Did you know that garter snakes are named after a piece of clothing? Did you know that there are 30 different species of garter snakes? Garter Snakes by Heather L. Montgomery (Capstone, 2011) tells all sort of cool facts about garter snakes. I  learned that garter snakes aren’t poisonous and actually make good household pets. I discovered that garter snake enzymes can stun prey and young garter snakes shed their skin four to five times a year. Garter Snakes is a great book about these peaceful reptiles. (Argyle in grade eight)

Did you know that crows might be the most intelligent of all birds?    Crows drop nuts under the wheels of moving cars. Once the shell is cracked, they will fly down to retrieve their delicious reward. Did you know that when Mourning Doves fly their wings whistle?  Backyard Birds: An Introduction by Robert Bateman and Ian Curtis (Scholastic, 2005) is an exciting and inspirational book that provides readers with surprising information about birds that they might find in their backyard. It invites readers to identify, attract, and appreciate these beautiful creatures. I learned that Blue Jays can imitate car horns and mimic the call of other birds and animals and that hummingbirds can fly upside down. I discovered that the Gray Jay, known as the “camp robber”, may take food from your hand and save it by gluing it to a tree with sticky saliva and that barn owls have an amazing sense of hearing. They can hear a mouse scurrying on the ground and know whether it is scurrying right or left. Bateman’s illustrations are accurate and beautiful, encouraging readers to preserve bird habitat and survival, and to become more connected to the beauty of the natural world around them. (Sophie)

Did you know that it takes two days for a meal to make its way through the digestive system? Did you know that on the way down nutrients are extracted so that waste is the only thing left? Body Talk: Digestion by Jenny Bryan (Wayland, 1992) tells all sorts of intriguing facts on what to do to stay healthy in life. I learned that instead of taking extra vitamin and mineral supplements you can just eat healthy balanced meals. I learned that nearly all the food we consume can be divided into three groups: carbohydrates, fats and proteins. I discovered that a healthy way to lose weight is to exercise daily everyday and that another way is to cut down on sweets and unhealthy fats. Body Talk: Digestion is a captivating book about how to maintain a healthy body. (Alanna)

Find more examples on the page about General Knowledge books.

[This page may be copied for use with students if the following credit is provided: ©2011 Sophie Rosen.]