Harry Potter

If you liked the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling,
you might like these novels, too . . .

Hartley, A.J. Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact.  Razorbill, 2011.

The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander:

The Book of Three (AR 5.3)
The Black Cauldron (AR 5.2)
The Castle of Llyr (AR 5.4)
Taran Wanderer (AR 6.2)
The High King (AR 6.1)

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper:
Over Sea, Under Stone
The Dark is Rising (AR 6.2)
Greenwitch (AR 5.3)
The Grey King (AR 6.2)
Silver on the Tree (AR 6.0)

Inkworld by Cornelia Funke:
Inkheart (AR 5.4)
Inkspell (AR 5.6)
Inkdeath (AR 5.4)

Some of the novels by Diana Wynne Jones:
Eight Days of Luke (AR 5.4)
The Ogre Downstairs (AR 5.3)

The Time Quartet by Madeleine L’Engle:
A Wrinkle in Time (AR 4.7)
A Wind in the Door (AR 5.)
A Swiftly Tilting Planet (AR 5.2)
Many Waters

I think Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is similar to the Narnia series. Both are fantasies with main characters from different worlds. Harry Potter’s villain is Voldemort and Narnia’s is the White Witch. I think most fantasy novels are similar. (Ina in grade eight)

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis:
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (AR 5.7)
Prince Caspian (AR 5.7)
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (AR 5.9)
The Silver Chair (AR 5.7)
The Horse and His Boy (AR 5.78
The Magican’s Nephew (AR 5.4)
The Last Battle (AR 5.6)

Novels by Jenny Nimmo:
The Snow Spider (AR 4.6)
Midnight for Charlie Bone (AR 4.8)
Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (AR 4.7)
Charlie Bone and the Blue Boa (AR 4.9)
Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (AR 4.9)
Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (AR 4.6)
Charlie Bone and the Wilderness Wolf

Your Responses and Reviews!

In the book The Necromancer by Michael Scott (Delacorte Press, 2010) one of the main characters, Sophie Newman, experiences a lot of emotions in this book. Sometimes I also feel those emotions. For example, like Sophie, I have felt relieved after discovering something did not need to be feared. When Sophie figured out the Witch of Endor’s memories weren’t going to take over her memories, she felt so relieved. Well, once when I was young, I got so worried that my mom would figure out that it was actually me who stole the cookie from the cookie jar, I even lost sleep over it. But one day my mom told me she knew and said it was okay, that it was just a cookie. I felt so relieved that my mom was not going to get mad at me, I ran into my room and shouted, “Hallelujah!” Another time I felt the same as Sophie was when she felt betrayed because her brother Josh left her and went with Dr. John Dee, who was trying to take over the world. I too have felt like that, well of course when I felt betrayed it wasn’t about something as serious. I felt betrayed once when one of my friends started hanging out with someone else and started ignoring me and said that she didn’t want to be my friend. I felt so heart-broken and betrayed. The Necromancer is an altogether amazing book which I recommend to anyone who liked the Harry Potter books. (Tina in grade eight)

The Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson (Scholastic Inc., 1994) is a mystifying novel about a group of mythical people –  an ogre, a hag, a wizard, and a fey – who live on a magical island where humans live in harmony with mermaids and mistmakers. When a beastly woman named Mrs. Trotle kidnaps the prince of the island, the rescuers face a choice: Go after the Prince and risk being trapped in dirty London? Or let the Prince be captured and the island be miserable? Because the Prince can’t be left to Mrs. Trotle, the group of them feel forced to rescue him. But what if they get trapped in London? (Liam in grade eight)

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson (Vision, 2008) is the story of Daniel whose parents were killed by an alien named the Prayer when he was three years old. Daniel, growing up unnoticed on the streets, faces a conflict: should he live the rest of his life as a street rat or follow in his father’s footsteps and become the Alien Hunter? Because he knows no one else is going to hunt them down and get rid of them, he decides to hunt down the Alien outlaws hiding on Earth. But if he hadn’t, what would have happened to him? (Jarod in grade eight)

Charlie Bone and the Shadow of Badlock by Jenny Nimmo (2008) is a story about a teenaged boy who is very cautious, self-serving and outgoing. Charlie Bone is descended from the Red King who had his powers handed down through his descendants.  Charlie has a gift that lets him look into a painting and either travel into it or talk with the people in it. But Charlie faces a dilemma: either save his friend Billy Raven or let Billy stay in the painting. Charlie tries to save him, even though Billy is determined to remain in the picture. In the end, Charlie bows his head in defeat, even while knowing that he will never stop trying to save his friend. (by Caleb in grade eight)