Write an effective essay!
Here are some tips to help you improve the quality of your writing:
1. Have a beginning, a middle and an end.
– Write something to grab the attention of your reader.
– Tell your story or your ideas or your observations.
– Write something memorable at the end.
2. Divide your work into paragraphs.
– Group similar ideas together.
– If you include quotations, change paragraphs when you change speakers.
– Use topic sentences or transition sentences.
3. Use a logical sequence of ideas.
– Don’t jump around all over the place as if you are thinking aloud.
– Use transition words to help your ideas flow smoothly.
4. Show emotion.
– If you sound distant or disengaged, your reader won’t care for your writing.
– Emotions make your writing powerful.
5. Use powerful words and phrases.
– Pay close attention to your verbs, adverbs and adjectives.
– Use a dictionary or thesaurus to hep you find more precise words.
– Include some figures of speech such as alliteration, similes, metaphors.
6. Don’t forget that the conventions matter!
– Sloppy grammar, punctuation and spelling show that you don’t care about your writing. No one else will care, then, either.
– Ask for special tutoring sessions if you need extra help learning the rules of correct English.