Especially for Gr. 7

GREAT BOOKS FOR STUDENTS IN GRADE SEVEN

Read books by these authors:
Aiken, Joan (British)
Alexander, Lloyd (British)
Brouwer, Sigmund
Carman, Patrick
Clements, Andrew
Colfer, Eoin. (Irish)
Cushman, Karen
Ellis, Deborah (Canadian)
Friesen, Gayle (Canadian)
Garfield, Leon (British)
Haddix, Margret Peterson
Hesse, Karen
Horowitz, Anthony (British)
Horvath, Polly (Canadian)
Hughes, Monica (Canadian)
Jones, Diana Wynne (British)http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=1553377389
Konigsburg, E.L.
Korman, Gordon (Canadian)
Lowry, Lois
McCaffrey, Anne
MacHale, D.J.
Matas, Carol (Canadian)
McCloskey, Robert
Meyer, Caroline
Mowat, Farley (Canadian)
Napoli, Donna Jo
Nix, Garth (Australian)
Paterson, Katherine
Patterson, James
Paulsen, Gary
Paolini, Christopher
Pearson, Kit (Canadian)http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=0439286034
Peck, Richard
Pratchett, Terry (British)
Riordan, Rick
Spinelli, Jerry
Sutcliff, Rosemary (British)
Uchida, Yoshiko
Tolkein, J.R.R. (British)
Voight, Cynthia
Walters, Eric (Canadian)
Whelan, Gloria
Yep, Laurence

Try some of these books:
Banks, Lynne Reid. Broken Bridge.
Bell, William. The Blue Helmet.
Bloor, Edward. Tangerine.
Bondoux, Anne-Laure. The Killer’s Tears.
Boyne, John. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
Bredsdorff, Bodil. Crow-Girl.http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=037582233X
Budhos, Marina. Ask Me No Questions.
Clements, Andrew. Things Not Seen.
Cleaver, Vera and Bill. Hazel Rye.
Cleaver, Vera and Bill. Where the Lilies Bloom.
Colfer, Eoin. Half-moon Investigations.
Connor, Leslie. Waiting for Normal.
Corder, Zizou. the Lionboy series
Couloumbis, Audrey. Getting Near to Baby.
Cushman, Karen. Catherine, Called Birdy.
Fox, Paula. One-Eyed Cat.
Gipson, Fred. Old Yeller.
Hesse, Karen. Aleutian Sparrow.
Holt, Kimberly Willis. When Zachary Beaver Came to Town.
Horvath, Polly. The Corps of the Bare-boned Plane.
Klise, Kate. Deliver Us From Normal.
L’Engle, Madeleine. A Wrinkle in Time.
Little, Jean. Willow and Twig.
Lord, Cynthia. Rules.
Martel, Susanne. The King’s Daughter.
Meyer, Carolyn. Patience, Princess Catherine.http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=0312367546
Miklowitz, Gloria D. The Enemy Has A Face.
Montgomery, L.M. Anne of Green Gables.
Moses, Shelia P. The Baptism.
Naidoo, Beverly. The Other Side of Truth.
North, Sterling. Rascal.
Paterson, Katherine. Lyddie.
Paulsen, Gary. The Crossing.
Pearson, Kit. Perfect, Gentle Knight.
Peck, Robert Newton. On the Wings of Heroes and the Soup series.
Pratchett, Terry. Truckers.
Richter, Hans-Peter. Friedrich.
Rylant, Cynthia. Boris.
Tilly, Meg. Porcupine.
Trease, Geoffrey. Word to Caesar.
Voigt, Cynthia. Homecoming and The Runner.
Walters, Eric. House Party and Shattered.

You also might like to read these non-fiction series:
Horrible Histories
by Terry Deary
You Wouldn’t Want to Be…

You may go request these books online from the Fraser Valley Public Library at http://www.fvrl.bc.ca.

More Recommendations!

http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=9781596433403Blue Like Friday by Siobhan Parkinson (Roaring Book Press, 2008).
Every friendship is unique, but Hal and Olivia’s is especially unique because Hal sees the world differently: he has synesthesia and even days of the week have colours for him. But the problem in the novel is Hal’s mother’s boyfriend. Despite Hal and Olivia’s plotting, the boyfriend doesn’t disappear. Instead, Hal’s mother disappears. This quietly humorous novel from Ireland is perfect for middle school readers who enjoyed Criss Cross by Perkins or Stargirl by Spinelli. (Ms. Rosen)

http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=9780399254581O’Connor, Sheila. Sparrow Road.  New York : G. P. Putnam’s Sons, 2011.
Twelve-year-old Raine and her mother move to an artists’ colony where Raine makes new friends, discovers her own creative talents and meets her father for the first time. (Fathers and daughters; Summer; Eccentrics and eccentricity; Mothers and daughters; Friendship; Creativity; Secrets) (Ms. Rosen)

http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=0807280569

Want to read something new? I recommend Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech (1998). The main character, Zinny, sees life like spaghetti and meatballs: you untangle yourself from your spaghetti of troubles and once in a while receive life’s surprises: meatballs. As Zinny gets tangled in more and more spaghetti, there are fewer and fewer meatballs. She and her parents never get along. Jake Boone is trying to get her attention while her sister May is trying to get his. Her spaghetti is so tangled she is on the verge of popping! She asks to camp on the Bybanks Chocton trail and ends up doing some crazy things: she cuts open a fence with wire cutters, steals a horse and gets attacked by a bear. Will Jake get his girl? Will Zinny finish the trail? I guess you’ll have to read to find out! (Jezerah in grade 7)

http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=9780152061098

I highly recommend Blackthorn Winter by Kathryn Reiss. The novel is so intriguing and appealing that once you start reading, you simply cannot put it down! A girl named Juliana moves to Blackthorn, England with her mother, brother and sister since her mother is getting divorced. She then meets Liza, her mother’s old friend from art school, who, after a welcoming party for her family, gets murdered. Juliana knows the murderer is not who everyone else suspects but another person altogether, one who is doing very well at hiding their identity. Juliana wants to prove Simon, her new British friend, is innocent. Someone is getting away with this murder… but who? This is the kind of book that is full of suspense. And it shows that you can figure out a murder if you think out of the box. Read it yourself and discover the conclusion to this thrilling, enchanting novel! (Rachel in gr. 7)

http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=0689803745

I read Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman. This is a great book about facing and overcoming your inner fears. Blake’s brother runs away to an amusement park. Blake and his friends go to look for him. But they discover the amusement park is enchanted and if you die on the rides, you become part of the scenery. Everyone must make it through seven rides before dawn or they become part of the park. The rides themselves are built around people’s obstacles in life and their fears. No one has ever made it through all seven rides. Blake finally gets close. The owner of the park gets scared because the rides are starting to break down. At the end, the amusement park explodes and all the people who have died throughout the years are released. But what happens to Blake? Read this book to find out. (Gunnar in gr. 7)

http://images.btol.com/ContentCafe/Jacket.aspx?UserID=ebsfraser&Password=fraser&Return=1&Type=L&Value=0064407055

I recommend Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. When I read this book, it was like watching a movie! I wanted to know the next thing so badly. My favourite sentence: “And so, with laughter and love, we lived ever after.” Oh my goodness, it is like princes and princesses but it’s real! I didn’t ever like stories about princes and princesses before, but now I do. (Susan in gr. 7)

I recommend a book called The Capture by Kathryn Lasky. (Preston in gr. 7)

Despereaux, in The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (Candlewick Press, 2003), is a very kind and courageous mouse who always perseveres in the face of difficulty. When he needs to save a princess, he is kind enough to embark on a journey to warn her about danger. In fact, he is very courageous throughout many dangerous adventures. Furthermore, when he faces difficult challenges, he perseveres: when he was almost dead, he pushed himself a little further to save the princess from a tragic death. Despereaux’s noble character inspired me and will, I’m sure, inspire everyone who reads about him in this uplifting novel. (Mitch in gr.  7)

My favorite part of Devon Delaney Should Totally Know Better by Lauren Barnholdt is . . .
“I pushed the button to click over. Luke? Can you hold on for like one more sec? It’s for my mom, but it’ll be quick. Sorry, the same annoying secretary says. It’s still me. Must not have pushed the button all the way. I try again. Luke? Nope. Again. Hello, Luke? No, still me. Maybe he hung up? She offers helpfully. Ugh.”  (Emma in gr. 7)

Ms. Rosen, I was wondering if I could please borrow the book The Secret Life Of Bees even though it is a grade 8 book.  Andriana
[Well, . . . No. There are some books that you’ll better understand and appreciate when you are a bit older. But there are many novels you can read now that deal with many of the same issues: racism, abuse, runaways, friendship and hope.
Try some of these:

‘Vive la Paris’ by Esme Raji Codell
Paris learns some lessons about dealing with bullies of all kinds as she wonders how to stop a classmate from beating up her brother at school and as she learns about the Holocaust from her piano teacher, Mrs. Rosen. — NVPL
‘Summer of My German Soldier’ by Bette Greene
When German prisoners of war are brought to her Arkansas town during World War II, twelve-year-old Patty, a Jewish girl, befriends one of them and must deal with the consequences of that friendship. — OhioLINK
‘Sidewalk Story’ by Sharon Bell Mathis
What do you do when your best friend’s family is being evicted from their home because they can’t pay the rent? You help them. That’s what you do. Even if you have sneak out at night to rescue their belongings. Even if you have to contact a newspaper to find them a place to live.
‘The Higher Power of Lucky’ by Susan Patron
Fearing that her legal guardian plans to abandon her to return to France, ten-year-old aspiring scientist Lucky Trimble determines to run away while also continuing to seek the Higher Power that will bring stability to her life. — OhioLINK
‘Becoming Naomi Leon’ by Pam Munoz Ryan
When Naomi’s absent mother resurfaces to claim her, Naomi runs away to Mexico with her great-grandmother and younger brother in search of her father. — NVPL
‘Let the Circle Be Unbroken’ by Mildred D. Taylor
Four black children growing up in rural Mississippi during the Depression experience racial antagonisms and hard times, but learn from their parents the pride and self-respect they need to survive. — OhioLINK
‘Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry’ by Mildred D. Taylor
A black family living in the South during the 1930’s are faced with prejudice and discrimination which their children don’t understand. — OhioLINK
‘Homecoming’ by Cynthia Voigt
Abandoned by their mother, four children begin a search for a home and an identity. — CIP
Feathers’ by Jacqueline Woodson
Sixth-grade Frannie is reading a poem about hope in class. But there’s not much hope in her life. Her friend Samantha is becoming peculiar. The class bully is becoming more trouble. And the new boy, nicknamed ‘Jesus Boy’, says he’s not white but he sure looks like he’s white. What’s going to happen next?]