HOW DOES LAYOUT AND DESIGN AFFECT THE MOOD OF A PICTURE
Click HERE to see many different book covers of ‘The Night Before Christmas’.
What features are particular to each picture?
What is the time period depicted?
What part of the world is depicted?
What is the centre of attention?
How do the surrounding features draw your attention to the centre?
What colours are used: warm or cool?
What lighting is used: subdued or bright?
What is the angle of perspective of the viewer: from below, straight on, or from above?
What medium is used: oil, watercolour, pencil, pastel, collage or woodcut?
What is the surface quality: shiny or matte?
How realistic is each picture?
Then use this chart to analyze…
1. a famous painting
2. several famous paintings on the same theme
3. several paintings by the same artist
4. several paintings from different time periods
5. several book covers illustrated by different artists but written by the same author
6. several picture books illustrated by the same author
Use this chart to plan your own piece of art.
Features (objects, characters and shapes):
Place in the world:
Centre of attention: