HAPPINESS: A VOCABULARY LIST
- delighted = full of quiet surprised happiness
- ecstatic = full of excited joy that has to be shared
- elated = full of surprised joy
- enthusiastic = full of happy talkative agreement
- excited = full of noisy happy anticipation
- buoyant = quietly full of happy hope
- exhilarated = full of energy as a result of good news
- overjoyed = so happy that words cannot express it
- cheerful = showing pleasant happiness
- happy = feeling quietly positive
- gleeful = full of laughter and delight
- lively = showing alert happy attention
- merry = smiling and friendly and happy
- light-hearted = happily without worries
- contented = quietly satisfied
- glad = quietly happy for something
- genial = talkative and agreeable
- pleasant = smiling and politely agreeable
- satisfied = not wanting anything more
- serene = peacefully contented
Joy, Joy, Joy: A Vocabulary Practice
A. Cloze Sentences
- I have everything I need. I am ____________________. (exhilarated / contented).
- Today, I have lots of work to do, but I will do it _______________________. (cheerfully / gleefully).
- I am __________________ (glad / ecstatic) that I have a teacher and can go to school.
- I am _________________ (overjoyed / excited) to be conducting my very own science experiment.
- Last week, I was ___________________ (serene / ecstatic) when I discovered that I’d earned 100% on my math test.
- I would not have been ____________________ (satisfied / lively) if I had earned only 50% on that test.
- Yesterday, the whole class was ______________ (serene / elated) when the teacher told us that we wouldn’t have our Dewey Decimal test until next week.
- Now that my challenging literature project is finished, I am feeling ____________________ (genial / light-hearted).
- Everyone in my class is _________________ (lively / gleeful) when our teacher is sharing math tricks with us so that we can get our work done more quickly.
- When we play games in class, everyone is very ___________________ (serene / enthusiastic) because learning is so much fun that way.
contented, delighted, ecstatic, exhilarated, genial, gleeful, merry, overjoyed, pleasant, serene
- Quietly satisfied _____________________________
- Happy, smiling, and friendly __________________________
- So happy that words cannot express it _____________________
- Full of quiet surprised happiness _________________________
- Full of energy as a result of good news _____________________
- Smiling and politely agreeable __________________________
- Full of quiet laughter and delight _________________________
- Peacefully contented _________________________________
- Talkative and agreeable _______________________________
- Full of excited joy that has to be shared ___________________